Powered by Blogger.

January 20, 2010

A WINTER TREAT-CRISP ALU TIKKIS!

Ever since I started cooking myself, the appeal of buying/ordering food from the market has been vastly reduced, I see so many things like pastries, burgers, pizzas, fastfood and want to buy them, but hey wait!I can make all of this myself, and you bet it will be fresher, tastier, healthier and at a fraction of the cost!
So yesterday evening I saw this roadside vendor making tikkis and was tempted to have them, but on second thoughts, What oil is he using?, Are his hands clean?Is the way of making hygienic?, so I skipped buying them from the roadside vendor came home and prepared them fresh and piping hot instead and boy! was I glad, the entire family loved them and asked for second and third helpings!I was really satisfied that I had opted for something fresh and home made instead of the junk they serve outside.
Here's how I made these delicious, crispy crust tikkis which are such a popular roadside snack here in India, I have on purpose abstained from adding any cornstarch/flour, and just let the tikkis be in their purest form :).You too will love them once you start making them yourself and I promise you will never eat/buy from the market.To make these you require-
  • Potatoes-6 large
  • Onion-1 large, finely chopped
  • Green chilli-1 large, deseeded and finely chopped
  • Green coriander- a handful, chopped
  • Salt and red chilli powder to taste
  • Garam masala-1 tsp
  • Tender, fresh ginger-1/2 tsp finely chopped
  • Oil for shallow frying.
Method-Boil potatoes in the pressure cooker(give 3-4 whistles), peel and mash thoroughly with a fork whilst hot.Combine all the other ingredients and mash up well, let the mixture cool.Shape into tikkis/cutlets and fry in hot oil on medium heat till crisp and golden.Serve piping hot with tomato ketchup.

Print Friendly and PDF
Bookmark this post :
StumpleUpon Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

6 comments :

Manasi January 25, 2010 at 12:48 AM  

Aloo tikis are among the first things I tried! I love them.. the crisp exterior and soft interior, yum!!!

Unknown January 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

Yum yum.. Next time I get a craving for road-side food [which is like, every other day] I'm coming straight to you!

Unknown January 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

Tikkis look perfectly shaped. Absolutely healthy than the store bought ones..

Fathima January 30, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

Alu Tikkis look great and yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP   

} catch(err) {}