Powered by Blogger.

January 17, 2010

SEASONAL SHALGAM,GOBHI,GAJAR KA ACHAR(TURNIP,CAULIFLOWER,CARROT PICKLE/RELISH)

It has been a really bad Winter, ever since it's onset I have been sick either with cold,cough or tummy upset.I dislike this cold weather and wish for warm, sunny days, sunlight seems to be so elusive and my body pines for it.
I feel really fit and active during Summer's but Winter's, I find totally debilitating.I also find myself dreading any kind of work at all, it's cold in the kitchen too!, so cooking for pleasure has also taken a backseat, only a quick essential meal is manageable.A few days back, on a lovely sunny morning I thought of making this pickle, since all the vegetables are in full season, I have loved this pickle since childhood, especially the one my naani used to make.It is sweet and sour, tangy and delicious, I love it on it's own with a parantha!

To make this pickle you require-
Cauliflower-1/2 kg
Turnips-1/2 kg
Carrots-1/2 kg
Mustard powder-2 tbsp
Vinegar-1/2 cup
Jaggery/gur/Sugar-250 gms
Mustard oil-1cup
Ginger paste-3 large tbsp
Garlic paste-3 large tbsp
Salt and red chilli powder to taste

Method-Wash and peel carrots, turnips and cauliflower, Cut carrots and turnips into longish pieces, separate cauliflower into florets.Dry in the sun for 2 days, or if the weather is cloudy, drain on paper towels and dry indoors for 2 days.Heat mustard oil in a heavy kadhai till smoking, let cool a bit.Fry ginger and garlic till golden, add vinegar, jaggery and rest of the spices.Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes, toss well, cool and bottle into clean and dry bottles.Keep in the sun for 2-3 days, your pickle is ready!Keep stored in the refrigerator, it will last several months.

Print Friendly and PDF
Bookmark this post :
StumpleUpon Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

8 comments :

Anonymous ,  January 17, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

lubnakarim06 January 18, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

I am hungry...love the medley...

FH January 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

Love the combos of veggies. Mixing achar sounds yum, good one.

Unknown January 19, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

Great achar... M bookmarking it to make it soon

Soma Pradhan January 19, 2010 at 6:44 AM  

I am bookmarking it to make it soon.thx for recipe

ash January 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM  

hii nice recipe. Just a small question mustard seed means sarso aur raai???

ash January 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM  

hi nice reciepe. one smaal question mustard seeds are sarso aur raai??

Richa May 6, 2014 at 6:31 AM  

Hi Bindiya, your achar recipe reminds me of my mom so much. I just go crazy over this achar. Sometimes, she would cook it over the flame and we would all finish it on the same day. Great job!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP   

} catch(err) {}