Choaq Vagan are a favorite in all kashmiri homes, we love these sour and spicy eggplant with rice, and I feel they are the perfect accompaniment for any meat dish, the sourness perfectly offsets the meaty flavors,I sometimes pack up some with a parantha for a quick, spicy snack!
If you are interested in authentic kashmiri food, do check out my other posts in the sidebar, for newbies I also have an illustrated list of special kashmiri ingredients here.
- Small brinjals/eggplant-1/2 kg
- Tamarind imli-1 walnut sized ball, boiled in a cup of water and strained
- Garlic paste-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Onion paste-2 tbsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Green cardamom powder- a pinch
- Cinnamon powder-1/4 tsp
- Black cardamom powder-a pinch
- Dry ginger powder-1/4 tsp
- Refined oil for deep frying
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
Score eggplants into four and wash well, heat oil and fry a few at a time till reddish, drain and keep aside.Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, onion paste and garlic paste, fry till brown add the rest of the ingredients and season with salt, fry till masala leaves sides of pan, add a cup of water and then add eggplant, cook for another 10 minutes, serve piping hot!