There is something wildly addictive about this drink, which comprises of Water and Black Carrots!
Yes I am referring to the ever popular "kanji", I remember as a child we used to love it but my mom always gave us little, as it is supposed to be enjoyed in little quantities, my guess is that too much upsets the stomach or perhaps because of the kick it has, it was off limits for kids :)
They also say that it is best enjoyed chilled while basking in the sun, I have a bottle chilling and just the thought of it is making me salivate, it is so impossibly delicious and great for weight watchers, yet incredibly simple to make.
The carrots used are the black variety, that lend a gorgeous shade to this drink.
- Black carrots-4
- Water-2 liters
- Mustard seeds-2 tbsp(powdered)
- salt-2 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
- Wash and scrape the carrots, be prepared to have your hand stained purple or wear gloves.
- Chop Carrots into longish pieces.
- Take a big glass jar, big enough for 2 liters of water and combine all the ingredients together, give it a good shake.
- Leave jar in the sun for 5-6 days for the drink to ferment and sour.
- Taste the kanji, adjust salt if required, chill and serve in glasses with a fork to fish out the pieces of carrots.
Bookmark this post: