This tangy pickle is my favorite, and I got the recipe from a colleague who used to regularly bring it in her tiffin.I think I have added a few of my own ingredients along the years and now a jar is always there in my fridge.
This thokku is used in many ways as a bread spread, a vegetable, a chutney and with freshly steamed rice too, great when you want an instant perk up to a regular meal, it is also bursting with Vitamins and since very little oil is used it also qualifies as really healthy.
The tomatoes I used were plucked straight from the garden and so were the curry leaves :)
- Fresh red and ripe tomatoes-1/2 kg
- Curry leaves- 5-6
- Oil-1 tbsp
- Asafoetida-a pinch
- Methi seeds-a pinch
- Deggi mirch-1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder-1/2 tsp OR 1 Green chilli chopped
- Salt to taste
- Wash and dry tomatoes.
- Chop roughly into small pieces
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and methi seeds, let sputter.
- Add tomatoes and cover, cook for 20 minutes, then add deggi mirch and seasoning.
- Cook till oil separates
- Spoon into clean glass jars and cool, refrigerate
- This chutney lasts for several weeks in the fridge
Tomatoes growing in my garden
Bookmark this post :