Powered by Blogger.

March 25, 2010

TANGY TOMATO THOKKU

This tangy pickle is my favorite, and I got the recipe from a colleague who used to regularly bring it in her tiffin.I think I have added a few of my own ingredients along the years and now a jar is always there in my fridge.
This thokku is used in many ways as a bread spread, a vegetable, a chutney and with freshly steamed rice too, great when you want an instant perk up to a regular meal, it is also bursting with Vitamins and since very little oil is used it also qualifies as really healthy.
The tomatoes I used were plucked straight from the garden and so were the curry leaves :)

Ingredients-

  • Fresh red and ripe tomatoes-1/2 kg
  • Curry leaves- 5-6
  • Oil-1 tbsp
  • Asafoetida-a pinch
  • Methi seeds-a pinch
  • Deggi mirch-1 tsp
  • Red Chilli powder-1/2 tsp OR 1 Green chilli chopped
  • Salt to taste
Method-
  1. Wash and dry tomatoes.
  2. Chop roughly into small pieces
  3. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and methi seeds, let sputter.
  4. Add tomatoes and cover, cook for 20 minutes, then add deggi mirch and seasoning.
  5. Cook till oil separates
  6. Spoon into clean glass jars and cool, refrigerate
  7. This chutney lasts for several weeks in the fridge























Tomatoes growing in my garden

Print Friendly and PDF
Bookmark this post :
StumpleUpon Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

1 comments :

Good Gynecologist in Anna Nagar February 24, 2011 at 5:13 PM  

Tooooo good!!!! Coincidently I was looking for this recipe day before yesterday on net...and here comes your comment...thanks for stopping by my blog and leading me to your lovely blog recipes...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP   

} catch(err) {}