An utterly gorgeous cake, made extra tender with the use of buttermilk..seems like the old adage -"We eat with the eyes first".. comes true, whoever I have served it to seem first to fall in love with the attractive red colour and then the chocolaty tenderness of it. A great hit at parties and birthdays!
Ground white sugar- 1 and ½ cups
Cocoa- 4 tbsp
Butter- 1 cup, softened
Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
Buttermilk- 1 cup
Plain flour- 2 and ½ cups
Baking powder- 2 tsp
White vinegar- 1 tbsp
Red food colour- 4 tbsp
Baking soda- ½ tsp
For the icing-
300 ml heavy cream//Cream cheese( whatever is available, original recipe calls for cream cheese)
½ cup castor sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 200 degree C
- Grease and flour two 9- inch cake pans
- Cream butter and sugar together very well. Add eggs and beat well.
- Add the cocoa, food colour, salt, vanilla to the creamed mixture.
- Now alternately add flour and buttermilk, mix well, in the end add the vinegar.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely.
Take a clean mixing bowl and combine cream/ cream cheese along with the rest of the ingredients, beat well till light and fluffy.
Sandwich the cake with a quarter of the prepared icing , spread the rest on top and sides.
Bookmark this post: