Flaxseeds are the best vegetarian source of Omega 3, a decade ago this ubiquitous little brown seed was used as fodder for cattle, now you can find it on the list of Top 10 Superfoods!
I bake my own bread and try to make it as healthy and nutritious as possible and believe me it REALLY does not take time neither is it too complicated, all that you get is pure, simple pleasure...
Ingredients-(makes 1 loaf)
- Wholewheat flour (atta)- 200 gms
- Plain flour-50 gms
- Flaxseeds-3 tbsp
- Milk-1/2 cup
- Fresh curd/yogurt- 2 tbsp
- Butter- 30 gms (diced) Salt-1/2 tsp
- Sugar-2 tsp
- Fresh yeast-2 heaped tsp
- Sesame seeds- for sprinkling over
- Roast flaxseeds lightly, cool and grind to a powder reserving some for sprinkling on top.
- Combine milk, and curd, add sugar heat till milk is lukewarm, stir in the yeast and wait for 10 minutes till frothy.
- Measure out flour in a large basin, rub in the butter so that it is like breadcrumbs, add salt and flaxseed powder.
- Break egg in a bowl and reserve little for egg wash, add rest to the milk mixture, now knead a dough by making a well in the center and adding the milk mixture, knead into a smooth dough.
- Oil a bowl and put the ball of dough, turning over so that the oil coats the ough, cover with cling film and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place till double in bulk.
- After an hour remove cling film and punch down dough, now shape and leave for second proofing and then bake.
- Brush with reserved egg wash and sprinkle flax and sesame seeds, bake shaped dough in a preheated oven (200 C ) for 35-40 minutes or till golden on top. Slice thickly and enjoy slathered with butter.This healthy bread is off to Yeastspotting- a weekly showcase of baked goods
Bookmark this post: