LET ME TAKE YOU ON A MAGICAL OKRA JOURNEY
the pretty okra flower.....
turns into fresh-green okra.....
is sliced into roundels....
with the addition of these.....
(from left to right row -cumin pwdr, salt, red-chilli, turmeric, amchur, and garam-masala)
TURNS INTO THIS - DELICIOUS BHINDI MASALA!
now for the recipe....
- okra- 1/2 kg
- onion-1 large
- cumin powder-1 tsp
- red chilli-1/2 tsp.
- turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp.
- amchur(dried mango pwdr.)-1 tsp
- garam masala-1 tsp
- salt- acc. to taste
- oil- 2 tbsp.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom skillet, add the okra and chopped onion,cover and cook till okra is tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside, stirring occassionally , be careful not to stir too much as it will cause more of the sticky stuff to ooze out.
Lastly add all the spices and salt ,give a quick stir and serve hot with chapatis or paranthas .
Tips for handling okra-
For a beginner making okra for the first time it can turn into a nightmarish experience if proper precautions are not taken, these are some tips I have found useful-
- Always wash and DRY the okra before starting whether on paper towels or under the fan, the drier the okra is the less gummy liquid it will ooze out, i have even discovered that cutting it up and storing in an airtight container in the fridge for a day also helps.
- Try to keep the stirring to a minimum because that causes the okra to break up and again more gum
- Always buy fresh,tender okra that snaps easily and is not too big or hard to the touch.
- Always add salt and spices at the end of the cooking process
Bookmark this post: